Lebron James Shoesfake handbags christian louboutin bootsugg classic tall air force one shoesNike shoxair max shoes Nike shox shoesMoncler saleMoncler on sale
National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) Forum: Customer Service Level 3
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Customer Service NVQs
 National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) Forum : Specific NVQs : Customer Service NVQs
Message Icon Topic: Customer Service Level 3 Post Reply Post New Topic Create New Poll
babycakes

Online Status: Offline
Quote babycakes Replybullet Topic: Customer Service Level 3
    Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 1:42pm
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to doing an NVQ and am struggling a little.

I'm doing a level 3 NVQ in Customer Service and for one of the units, processing customer service complaints, my tutor has said just write a couple of statements.

Without wishing to sound completely dumb, what would you include in a statement about a customer complaint? I have no idea how to word it, what information to include or anything.

I have to prove one complaint was justified and one unjustified.

I dont know where to start so any advice would be very much gratefully recieved.

Thank You Confused

IP IP Logged
isettaman
Gold Star Holder
Gold Star Holder

Quote isettaman Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 3:04pm
Hi Babycakes

Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, everything, the more detail the better.
Your tutor/assessor should have given you more guidance than appears the case.
Have a look at the standards for unit 310 and this will guide you as to what you need to include. Things like how you first became aware of the problem, what options you had for solving it, which option you used and why etc. etc. Plus taking action to ensure it won't happen again, giving feedback to the staff concerned and making full and accurate records.
Presumably you are in a supervisory roll, what type of organisation?

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS Don't forget that evidence from your statements can also be assessed against the other units that you are doing.
life's too short to be miserable!
IP IP Logged
Malcmall

Quote Malcmall Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 3:21pm
Give real examples of your experinces at work to meet the standards for this unit and provide any additional evidence when possible and as above a good quality report can be used for the other units.
IP IP Logged
Yorkspud
NVQ Guru
NVQ Guru

Quote Yorkspud Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 6:57pm

Hi Babycakes and welcome to the forum.  You’ve come to the right place for support with your NVQ!

I’m concerned that all the advice you’ve been given for this unit is to “write a couple of statements” and prove one complaint was justified and one wasn’t.  There’s a lot more to the unit than that!

Dave and Malcmall have both given you some sound advice (although I’m not sure where Dave’s Unit 310 comes from as the Institute of Customer Service have it as Unit 34!)  Just to expand a bit on what they’ve said, you need to identify some specific occasions when you have had to deal with customer complaints and tell the story (with as much detail as possible) of exactly what you did on each occasion.  As Dave says, you really need to refer to the standards, to ensure you cover everything.  (Don’t worry if you don’t understand some of the language – just come back here and ask for clarification.  Or ask your assessor to explain them.)

You also need to refer to the evidence requirements for the unit because these tell you how much evidence you need and the situations your evidence needs to cover.  For example, as well as covering justified and unjustified complaints, you also need to cover dealing with complaints during routine delivery of customer service, during busy periods, during quiet periods and when people, systems or resources have let you down – and there are other situations you need to cover as well.  You should have a copy of both the standards and the evidence requirements, but just in case you haven’t, you can find them by following these links:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/units/OCR_NVQ_Customer_Service_Level_3_Unit34(2006).pdf  (standards)

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/units/OCR_NVQ_Customer_Service_Level_3_ER_Unit34(2006).pdf (evidence requirements)

Your personal statements should also be supported by other evidence, such as observation by your assessor, product evidence (for example, the records you made of the various incidents) or a statement from someone who saw you deal with or was involved in any of the complaints.  Your assessor will need to authenticate these.

As both Dave and Malcmall have said, you should use your evidence in as many units as it fits.

I hope we’ve set you off on the right road – feel free to come back any time!

Yorkspud

IP IP Logged
isettaman
Gold Star Holder
Gold Star Holder

Quote isettaman Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 8:14pm
Hi

The unit is 310 in the City & Guilds standards, just to confuse everyone.

Another thing that Malcmall touched on is work evidence. By that I mean copies of customer complaint forms, any monitoring documents etc. These can be very useful as supporting evidence with the names removed to protect the "innocent"

I think that should give Babycakes plenty to work on.

Dave

Edited by isettaman - 12 Jun 2007 at 8:15pm
IP IP Logged
Yorkspud
NVQ Guru
NVQ Guru

Quote Yorkspud Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2007 at 9:38pm
Trust City and Guilds to give it a different number!!!
IP IP Logged
Malcmall

Quote Malcmall Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 12:21pm
We use City and Guilds so Dave's 310 made  perfect sense to me but changing the numbers of units is strange and confusing Confused
IP IP Logged
babycakes

Quote babycakes Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 3:03pm
Hi Dave,

I'm not in a supervisory role, i'm just a customer service advisor. I deal with incoming calls from my customers, kind of like a call centre based role. Its an education product for primary schools and i work for a publishing company.

Thanks for your advice, i'll have a look over the standards and have a go at writing on and see how i get on.

I dont feel quite as lost now - asking my tutor doesnt always help as i dont always understand what she gives as an answer, and i feel like i should know what she means but i quite often dont!

Wish me luck!

Thank you
Smile 
IP IP Logged
babycakes

Quote babycakes Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 3:05pm
Thanks everyone for all the useful tips, its much appreciated. I'm going to give writing a statement a go tonight and see how i get on,

If i get stuck i'll be back!!

Have a great afternoon and thanks again
Hug
IP IP Logged
isettaman
Gold Star Holder
Gold Star Holder

Quote isettaman Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 8:56pm
Hi Babycakes

I don't like to say this but I think you are at the wrong level. Level 3 is aimed at people in a supervisory role as a good deal of the units are about organising, monitoring and supervising. If you do not have staff or colleagues to supervise then you should be doing the level 2.

What do others think?   

Dave
IP IP Logged
Yorkspud
NVQ Guru
NVQ Guru

Quote Yorkspud Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2007 at 9:15pm

I'm inclined to agree with you, Dave - Level 3 demands a certain level of autonomy and responsibility.  Having said that, it is stated that this level is suitable for "people who have the scope to bring about permanent improvements in service delivery that benefit customers and the organisation for which they work.  Such individuals do not have to be in roles where they have direct line responsibility for people".  So, if the assessor has carried out a comprehensive initial assessment based around the candidate's job role and has identified that the candidate is in a position to provide appropriate evidence, it could still be the right level.

Sorry, Babycakes, didn't meant to talk about you as though you weren't there!  How was it decided that you should do Level 3?  Have you done an initial assessment with your assessor?  Dave definitely has a point so, unless you're confident that you can provide evidence at the right level, it may be worth talking to your assessor about it before you get too far in.

Yorkspud

IP IP Logged
babycakes

Quote babycakes Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 1:46pm
Hi,

Its something my company offered to all staff in a customer service role. There was no assesment and we're all doing level 3. None of us work in supervisory roles, we are all just customer service advisors.

My tutor knows what i do and hasnt indicated that she believes there will be a problem providing evidence.

having a dilema now as i dont want to waste anyone's time by doing this

Cry
IP IP Logged
isettaman
Gold Star Holder
Gold Star Holder

Quote isettaman Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 5:03pm
Hi Babycakes

The best course of action is for you to look through the units you have agreed with your assessor and check that you feel confident that you can supply the required evidence as requested by the standards.

You need to ask your assessor if she thinks you are at the correct level, she should be best placed to make that decision.

Yorkspud is correct in saying that your assessor should have carried out a skill scan to check your current skill levels and identify which units would suit you best.

Your company is very generous as I don't think there is any funding for level 3's so they must be paying for it themselves!

What do your colleagues feel about doing level 3? Are they confident of producing the evidence?

Dave
IP IP Logged
Jon P

Quote Jon P Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 10:13am
Babycakes - you said in an earlier post
"asking my tutor doesnt always help as i dont always understand what she gives as an answer, and i feel like i should know what she means but i quite often dont!"
Don't be afraid to ask until you do.
From my limited experience (not as much as others on this forum) one of the primary tasks an assessor has to do is to relate the standards to the tasks that people perform as part of their job.
Dave has said that your company are probably paying for you to undertake this qualification, and it doesn't seem to me that you are getting good value for their money.
I assess and I/V Customer Service L2 and 3 awards, and from what you have said, I would also be concerned that the level you are doing is the most appropriate for someone doing the job you describe.
But don't let that put you off - just get your assessor to explain to you what to do so that YOU understand it.
If others are having the same experience, and this is a common problem for staff where you work, perhaps you are not getting the quality of support you deserve.Thumbs%20Up

Good luck
Jon
IP IP Logged
bluestar*

Quote bluestar* Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2007 at 9:37am
Hi Babycakes,

I assess C/S L3 in a call centre enviroment sounds a bit similar to your set up. I also allow guys in a non supervisory role to take L3 awards. Some units are better suited than other though. 310, is not one I would choose unless my candidate worked in an area dealing with concerns/investigations.

Do you deal with many complaints?

If so, look at the evidence requirements first and try to think of recent examples of times you have dealt with a customer complaint which matches the range needed.

I find that a mind map or spider diagram helps. Once you have examples to fit the range, then begin looking at the standards to see if you have covered off these in your examples, again for each "case history" make notes of how and when you met the standards.

Then look at the knowledge and decide if any of the actions which you took were as a result of additional knowledge you have. Don't forget that evidence crosses over units so check what you have covered off in your other units as well.

You should then have at least one or two examples which seem to cover off lots of range and standards. These will become the basis of your Personal Accounts, have the standards next to you and write/type what you did, when you did it, why you did it, who you discussed it with or refered it on to...

That's pretty much it. You really need to show that you know the regulations for complaint handling within your organisation, also how you monitor complaints and esculate them and the options you have for compensation.

Can I ask which "pink " unit you have chosen? These are very tricky for a non supervisory role unless you can have control of a project or are involved in coaching.

regards

Bluestar
IP IP Logged
babycakes

Quote babycakes Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 3:22pm

Hi Bluestar,

Thanks for the helpful advice you provided. I managed to produce a couple of case studies and get that unit completed.

I'm now down to the two manditory units for this NVQ and again am struggling.

With Unit 7 i'm struggling with

Give examples of similarities and differences in planning customer service offers for the commercial, public sector and private not for profit organisations.

I work for a commercial organisation and have spent the day trying to find info on how service offers for public and non profit organisations are planned and i'm getting no where. Have you any advise as to where i could look. Having never worked in either of these sectors i dont have a clue how these things are done!

Explain how customer service can provide added value to a public sector or private sector not for profit organisation

I'm not sure what this is really asking. Surely the value good customer service offers is the same in each sector?

I have asked my assesor and was told i need to find these things out for myself. I would if i had the first idea how to or where to look.

I'm beginning to wish i never started doing this and i dont like feeling like this! Any suggestions or advise would be hugely gratefully recieved.

Thank you 
IP IP Logged
bluestar*

Quote bluestar* Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 5:32pm
Hi Babycakes,

Don't even think about giving up; if you are down to just the mandatory units then you have done very well.

Firstly, think about three different companies, one public sector e.g Fire Service, non- profit e.g a charity and commercial profit making e.g a bank.

They would all do some things the same, set a budget, identify a target audience, research. And some things very differently, the bank would seek a high profile competative maximise my profits style of promotion, probably with a hugh budget. The charity would need something also competative to win support but would instead of trying to tell the customer you need us, would be trying to say we need you. The Public sector usually don't have competetors to worry about but would be very cautious about getting the most for there money as it is public funds/taxpayers money.

There are loads of other things which you could say but these are just a few examples. I think the main thing that you need to show is that you can recognise the difference between the types of companies. Think about the media they would use and why, budget, overall objectives, competators, profit, public awareness.

When showing how it provides added value to non profit or public sector companies, you need to think about why would they bother with good customer service if they aren't making profits? The list is endless, public image and confidence in the services - fire service , goodwill and empathy for the charity.

I'm sure you will come up with 100% better answers than me once you get thinking about it. As for your assessor telling you to find out for yourself........ Make sure you give feedback to her/his company once your award is complete and you have the certificate in your hand!!

Remember this is a small part of your award - don't write War and Peace, use bullet points or a chart. Good luck hope you finish soon.

Bluestar
xx
IP IP Logged
bevbarker

Quote bevbarker Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 9:34pm
hi..i have recently started my nvq level 3 and i am having a bit of a mental block ! Confused
i am doing the ICS pack and have to do a couple of reports....no worries ther...just having trouble starting my report about the industry i am in (hospitality) and the sector (hotels) and also the supply chain. having a little problem remembering what a supply chain is (lol not a good start!) and just mergingit all together... are there any pointers you could give me??
IP IP Logged
isettaman
Gold Star Holder
Gold Star Holder

Quote isettaman Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 12:26am
Hi Bevbarker

Welcome to the forum.

Your supply chain is the route through which you obtain your supplies, in your case food and drink, linen, cleaning materials etc.

Take the food, it comes from the manufacturer to the wholesaler and then to your hotel. Perhaps with fresh foods from the farm to the market then to the wholesaler and then to you. The same sort of set-up will be used for anything you need to run your hotel.

Hope this helps.

Dave
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic Create New Poll
Printable version Printable version